Skip to main content

Olfaction, Memory, and Sleep

From today's New York Times:

Scent Activates Memory During Sleep, Study Says
By BENEDICT CAREY
The New York Times
Published: March 8, 2007

Scientists studying how sleep affects memory have found that the whiff of a familiar scent can help a slumbering brain better remember things that it learned the evening before. A rose bouquet — delivered to people’s nostrils as they studied and, later, as they slept — improved their performance on a memory test by almost 15 percent.

The new study, appearing Friday in the journal Science, is the first rigorous test of odor on human memory during sleep. The results — whether or not they can help students cram for tests — clarify the picture of what the sleeping brain does with newly studied material, and of what it takes for this process to succeed.

[ ... Read the full article ... ]

Comments

Omar Cruz said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dennis said…
I saw this story in the NYT. It offers an interesting window into the role of sensations in memory (particularly smell).

BUT, I am worried what sort of nonsense quack therapists are going to start advertising as "verified" by this article.

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Summer Session!

Summer Session begins next week for me. I am teaching several courses that I much enjoy: Introduction to Clinical Neuropsychology, Psychopharmacology, Cognitive, and Clinical Neuroscience. Let the sun shine and the coffee flow!

Welcome to Fall Semester!